Friday, September 27, 2013

Take a deep breath and chew on this

Fast Friday Five
1. Dont forget to breathe - Diaphragmatic breathing is the most overlooked performance piece in every single program. I guarantee this. We take 26 to 29000 breaths a day! By breathing correctly one can better improve the autonomic nervous system. Many of us are more sympathetic (excited/stressed) and the goal is to live in a parasympathetic (relaxed) state.  Breathing incorrectly is acidic to the body and leads to disturbed thoracic spine, cervical spine, scap, shoulder and intrinsic core function!! Take a look and listen:

2. Proving himself "Phenom"-enal - This Saturday, Sergio Pettis will be fighting James Porter in Milwaukee at 135 lb division. Sergio has been a blast to work the last three years because of his commitment, athleticism, attention to detail and last but not least his politeness (a dying quality in our young athletes). Serg is both a talent that whispers and also one that shouts. He possesses a genuine sense of humility to go with undeniable flash inside the cage.

"Training is not what you do when you've got where you're going. It is what gets you there" R. Ankeresen

3. 411 on MyFood- I am going to keep it 100 when it comes to what I chew on. I am an 80/20 or 90/10 kind of guy. I do believe in the power of food. I do believe the line "you are what you eat"and I can definitely attest to the idea that your body comp, performance and recovery is directly correlated to REAL, FROM THIS WORLD foods! Here are my go to foods choices in no specific order: spinach, broccoli, frozen "colored" peppers, very lean red meat, chicken sausage, eggs, berries, post-workout mint chocolate Clif Bars, and watered down homemade 1000 Island dressing. I cook with olive oil or coconut oil and I do enjoy a social Guinness regularly. I do the best I can. Best advice to you at home--crush the greens, get rid of the Robot Carbs (breads/yogurts/pastas/crackers/granola bars) and eat Human Carbs (veggies, fruit, potatoes, oats), get protein and healthy fat(avocado& almonds) in the morning...and lastly here is my take on bananas for all you athletes...Their like your college-girl Jersey Chasers--cheap & easy but in the end they are simple fruits and are really not all that good for you.

 
     
4. HamSCREAMS and Whats really hurt?- One of my mentors, Brad Arnett, was featured in a great write up on the hamstring issues that have plagued Wisconsin sports as of late.This great insight reminded me of a our industries new age thought in regards to aches and pains. Invariably our injuries are often a result of mechanical inefficiencies elsewhere...meaning what hurts right now is usually not the culprit. Look above, below, in front or behind to gain clues and remember x doesn't mark the spot in most cases. More to come next week.

5. Holy Ground - I often get to witness some of the greatest motivational speakers and lecturers at Elmbrook  Church in Brookfield, WI. Last Sunday, Mel Lawrenz blew wind into my sails and inspired many. He spoke of the verse, "I Am that I Am." The idea that God is everywhere and in everyone can be frightening or deeply enriching--that all depends on how you choose to live, act, and think. Mel's take away message was for us to mark everywhere we walked as HOLY GROUND.


Live what you believe out loud!    

No comments:

Post a Comment